Monday, November 13, 2006

Simple peas pulao

This recipe is very easy to make. No masalas or complicated procedures involved. Serve this rice with dal or a spicy side dish and enjoy.

Ingredients1 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 cloves
1 small piece of cinnamon
1 or 2 bay leaves
2 tsps jeera
3-4 green chillies
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp oil
Salt to taste

Method1. Soak the basmati rice in water for atleast 15 minutes. This makes the rice soft and fluffy when cooked.
2. Pour oil in a heavy-bottomed pan or a non-stick pot (it should be able to hold 1 cup of rice when cooked) and saute the jeera, cloves, cinnamon and green chillies.
3. Add the peas and saute till tender.
4. Drain the water from the rice completely and add to the pot.
5. Add the ghee and saute till the rice is slightly toasted.
6. Add the water (2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice) and salt and let it boil. Do not cover with a lid.

7. In about 7-8 minutes the rice will absorb all the liquid and you will see a few bubbles on the top. At this stage, reduce the flame to low and cover with a lid for 10 minutes. Switch off the stove after 10 minutes. Let is rest for a couple of minutes after that.
8. Carefully mix with a slotted spoon and serve.

Serving size - 1 cup
Number of servings 4

12 comments:

FH said...

Love how simple it is and with that baby potatoes in gravy! WOW!! I can just imagine!:))

USHA said...

Hi,

Really excellent presentaion....Planning to invite my hubby's collegue for lunch,,,

let me try this receipes ....
Thanks..lakshmi

Tweety said...

Wow, looks so simple and delicious. I am already able to guess the taste of it. How I wish we had a technology that could give a taste thru the pics :)

Tweety said...

Hey Lakshmi, one doubt. In point 2, you said use a nonstick pot. But in the pic, it looks like a steel pot. I am confused :(

Lakshmik said...

Hi Tweety

What I meant to say was a heavy bottomed pan or a non-stick pan. Will make the change. I appreciate you bringing up this point. Thanks

Latha said...

Hi Lakshmi,
My first time here! I can see that we have similar tastes (the blog layout :-)
You have a nice blog and nice recipes. Hope to try some form your blog soon.
Will keep coming and add you to my blogroll soon.
Cheers
Latha

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Latha. I somehow liked the white background in the blog template. I felt it highlighted the photographs. That's why I chose this layout. Thanks for planning to add my blog to your blogroll.

Lakshmi said...

nice recipe and simple. even i prepare but slightly different

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Lakshmi. How do you make it?

Praveena said...

Nice and simple. I just has some MTR packaged Peas Pulao. Just Not the same. Will try this tonight.

Tweety said...

Wheee I made Peas Pulav for dinner today :)
Thanks for posting the recipe Lakshmi!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I read the peas pulav, planing to make it for the dinner tonight. Seems very simple yet delicious. but i was wondering, is there any suitable gravy with that.