Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Dal and White Rice - the anytime comfort food

Whatever may be the comfort food for the rest of the world, for people from India dal and rice is what is comfort food and takes you down memory lane. Have it for lunch or dinner, dal and white rice is what I call the ultimate comfort food. Here goes the recipe for dal.

Ingredients1 cup thuvar dal
1 medium size onion
1 medium size tomato
1 tsp garlic paste
3-4 red chillies depending on taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp jeera
A few curry leaves
1/2 tsp of asafoetida
Salt to taste
Oil for seasoning
Corainder for garnish
Method1. Pressure cook the dal. Use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of dal.
2. Pour oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the jeera, red chillies and curry leaves.
3. Next add the onions and fry till they become transparent.
4. Add the garlic paste.
5. Add the tomatoes, cover and cook till it becomes soft and well blended with the onion and garlic.
6. Mash the cooked dal with the back of the spoon and add to the onion-tomato mix.
7. Add salt to taste and mix well.
8. You can alter the consistency of the dal by adding a little water.
9. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.

Serving size - 1 cup
Number of servings 4 to 6

6 comments:

Lakshmi said...

ya it is true dal and rice anytime we can have it rather than those masala curries.

FH said...

I love how simple and delicious your plate looks!! Comfort food.Some pickle and papad I am all set to go.Thanks.

I love your book list too. I have first 3 books and Rachel Ray's and Paula deen's. Good choice Lakshmi

Tweety said...

Hi Lakshmi. Thanks for dropping by my blog. It's a fairly new one, so I am wondering how you got in there.
Hey, please post your version of zucchini subzi too. It will be a different taste.
Your current post of dal chawal...yummmmm...soul food i wanna call :)

Lakshmik said...

I came visited your blog through Indira's blog. She had posted a recipe for upma and chutney and had given a link to your site for upma. Sure will post the zucchinni recipe, will also give a link to your recipe in my blog.

Lakshmik said...

Hey Supriya

Typo error in the first sentence - I meant to say I visited your blog, not came visited...sorry :)

TNL said...

Daal and chawal is the ultimate soul food....I love it too! Your recipe for daal is different though, we usually don't add onions in it...but looks like a recipe I could try!

Thanks!