Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Vegetable Manchuria

I think this recipe for vegetable manchuria is long due. Infact, I had wanted to post it along with these Indo-Chinese recipes and could not do it. So, I prepared a fresh batch of veggie manchuria and here comes the recipe.

Vegetable Manchuria

Ingredients for the manchuria1 cup finely chopped or grated cabbage
1/2 cup grated carrots
Salt
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
All purpose flour as needed to mix the veggies (app. 1/2 cup)
Water as needed to combine the flour and veggies
Oil for frying

Ingredients for the sauce/gravy1 tbsp - cornstarch (if using corn flour use 2 tbsp)
2 to 3 cups of water (as much as you need gravy)
1/2 tsp of Sriracha hot chilli sauce
1/2 tsp of Sambal Oelek
2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
1 bunch of green onions chopped finely (reserve some for garnish)
Soy sauce - 2 or 3 tsp
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnish

Method for the manchuria1. Combine the cabbage, carrot, salt and red chilli powder in a bowl. Add as much all purpose flour as you need to bind the veggies together.
2. Shape into round balls and deep fry in oil until brown on all sides.
3. Drain on a paper towel.

Method for the gravy1. Dissolve the corn starch in water and set aside.
2. Pour oil in a pan and add the green onions and garlic and sauté.
3. Add the cornstarch liquid, Sambal Olek, hot chilli sauce, soy sauce and vinegar and bring to a boil. If you find the cornstarch thickening up then add a little more water. The sauce should have a watery consistency otherwise it will thicken up when cooled.
4. Check the taste and add salt if required.
5. Reduce the flame and add the fried manchuria. Mix until the manchuria is blended in the sauce.
6. Remove from the flame and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
7. Serve hot with vegetable noodles or vegetable fried rice.


Vegetable Manchuria in gravy

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love vegetable manchurian. Lakshmi, u made me crave for it. They look so good.....

Madhavi.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Madhavi. Do try it out.

Viji said...

Very nice Lakshmi. Looks different also. Viji

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Viji. The manchuria tastes really good.

FH said...

Different template!!:))

You know,I never making Manchurian at home.Thanks for this ,I will give it a try Lakshmi.

Richa said...

very tempting pics! it's one of my fav Indo-chinese dishes. Where can I get sambal oelek & sriracha sauce? would love to try with that.
Cheers!

Bong Mom said...

Mmmmmmm love this dish and now I feel hungry for some noodle, fried rice and this.
Thanks !!!

Sia said...

just beautiful lakshmi. i love indo-chinese food. ur gravy sounds little different to what i usually make. will note it down when i try them next time

swapna susarla said...

hi lakshmik
i like manchurian.urs looking tasty!!!

Lakshmik said...

Asha, you must try. After trying out at home you will never eat out :)

Lakshmik said...

Hi Racha

You will find both of them in the Indian store. They are also available in the Asian store. I guess you live in NJ. You can try at Patel Cash and Carry on route 27 and the Asian store in Plainsboro.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sandeepa

Glad you liked the recipe.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sia

How do you make manchuria? Do post your recipe sometime.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Swapna.

TNL said...

Hi, this is a wonderful party dish...your recipe looks very good!

KA said...

Veg manchurian looks scrumptious!
On a separate note, loved your potato pie, a very wholesome meal on its own.

Richa said...

Thanks Lakshmik, will get it on my weekly round to the Indian store. BTW are you from Princeton area? I'm from Princeton area and hv started going to this newly opened Apna Bazaar in Dayton for desi grocery, saves me the trip af going to Patels all the way.
Cheers!

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Trupti.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Richa

I live close to Bordentown. Earlier used to live in Plainsboro. Probably we should meet sometime. Email me your phone number to veggiecuisine@gmail.com
I will call you sometime.

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Lakshmi,
Lovely looking manchurians .. I too make almost the same way except for hot sauce and sambal..

Richa said...

Hi there, just sent you an email with my phone#
talk to you soon!

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Prema. Try the hot sauce and sambal oelek. The gravy tastes delicious.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Richa. Will call you tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I have tried Gobi and chicken manchurian..This veg. version looks delicious.Thanks for sharing.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Maheswari. This recipe is very easy to make too.

Anonymous said...

Looks something different :) Love the dish Lakshmi .

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Jas.

Malar Gandhi said...

Hi Lakshmi,

Thanks for adding me in your link roll. I would like to add urs too in my link roll....is that ok for you.

And I have to say....its really really amazing recipe "manchoorian'! I will try this soon. The photos look great also!

Will see you around.

Unknown said...

Hey Lakshmi,

This is awesome!!!! I am eating these chines dishes in “Nan King” but not getting taste which I want. I am so glad that you posted it. I am going to try this probably this weekend. Thanks a lot.