Thursday, March 08, 2007

Jowar/Sorghum Roti - MBP March 2007

“Lets Roll !!!!!!!” - That’s exactly what I have been doing ever since I heard the theme for MBP March 2007. I have a long list of recipes, let's see how many will actually convert into posts. I am starting off by posting the recipe for jowar roti which I found in Shilpa's blog Aayi's Recipes.

The fact that I could actually make them is kind of a personal achievement for me. Of course, all the credits go to Shilpa. It means so much to me as jowar roti forms part of a regular meal in my in-laws house. Having spent very little time there, I never got to learn the technique of making jowar rotis. The entire process seemed so intimidating until I came across Shilpa's recipe. As far I know, I think the trick lies in forming the dough and this recipe is absolutely foolproof. You can never go wrong. I will continue working on this recipe until I actually roll out the roti with my palm. Click here for Shilpa's recipe. Also click here to learn how Indira of Mahanandi makes jowar roti. Here is my version.

Jowar/Sorghum Roti
Ingredients
1 cup jowar/sorghum flour
1 1/2 cups of water

Method
1. Pour the water in a pan and bring it to a boil.
2. Switch of the flame and gently add the jowar flour and keep mixing till everything comes together.
3. Once the flour gets incorporated into the water transfer the dough to a smooth platform and knead until it becomes a ball.
4. Divide into equal portions and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, heat a tawa - on medium heat.
6. Sprinkle flour on the board and pat the dough slightly with your hand to make a small round.
7. Roll out into a roti using a rolling pin.

8. Carefully lift the roti and transfer to the tawa.
9. When one side is slightly cooked brush water on the side that is face up before turning it.



10. Remove when the other side is also completely cooked.
11. Serve hot.

Jowar roti
Makes 4 medium sized rotis.

13 comments:

swapna susarla said...

Hi Lakshmik
good entry.roti is looking nice.

Anonymous said...

Now that was real quick Lakshmi :) :) You are really on a roll!!!!!! Now I must hurry with the feb round up that means:) Thanks dear :)

J said...

Wow, thats a great entry! Good healthy rotis!

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Swapna and Jyothsna.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Coffee

There are so many recipes that I found for the event. So, decided I must act fast. Waiting for the Feb roundup.

FH said...

Looks great L! I am still looking for good rolling recipes!:))

Bong Mom said...

Thts a nice entry, so you have to cook the Jowar to get the Roti. Thanks to you & Shilpa

Richa said...

never had jowar roti, shud try it sometime.

hv a good wknd

Anonymous said...

Great entry and delicious n healthy roti's.
HEy BTW where did you buy egg replacer??

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sandeepa

More or less yes. I think the jowar cooks up a bit in the hot water.

Lakshmik said...

Richa, you must try it. Delicious.

Lakshmik said...

Padmaja

I bought the egg replacer in Whole Foods Market (check out the baking aisle). Some GNC stores carry them too.

Shivapriya said...

Thanks lakshmi,
I will do that next week.