Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cabbage pappu

This is my first attempt at making cabbage pappu. Of course, we use cabbage for kootu but never used it for dal/pappu. Also, when I searched the web for this recipe there were very few sites that had the recipe for cabbage pappu. So, here is my version with inputs from a close friend. It turned out delicious!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup channa dal
1 tsp jeera
4 or 5 pods of garlic
1 medium onion chopped
A few curry leaves
3 or 4 red chillies broken
1 tsp mustard
A pinch of turmeric powder

Method
1. Pressure cook the dal, cabbage, jeera and 3 pods of garlic with a pinch of turmeric powder.
Cabbage and dal ready to be cooked
2. Fry the mustard, finely chopped garlic (2 or 3 pods), curry leaves and red chillies.
3. Next add the onions and sauté until soft.
4. Slightly mash the dal-cabbage mixture with the back of a spoon and add to the onion mixture.
5. Serve hot with rice.


Cabbage pappu served with rice

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I have never heard of cabbage dal!!!! Nice one there LakshmiK :)

Anonymous said...

ohh my...cabbage in dal...how original...gotta try it...looks devine...~smile~...thanks for sharing

Lakshmik said...

Yeah coffee. I also never heard of it until my friend mentioned it to me. And then I added my own twist to it.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Dilip

Do try it out. You will like it.

FH said...

I make cabbege dal,it's our fav dish with Chapatis actually.I wanted get a cabbage today and forgot!Oh well..next week!:)

Cabbge dal looks mouthwatering,thanks for recipe.

Seema Bhat said...

Lakshmi myself and my hubby luv palak pappu and i am gonna try cabbage as pappu . Thanx for the idea

Chandrika said...

Hey Lakshmi, that looks delicious! My mom makes it often..

Latha said...

Yumm, pappu the best comfort food. I like the picture of your pappu cooking Lakshmi!
Cheers
Latha

swapna susarla said...

hi lakshmik
this is my daughter's favorite dish.
adding garlic to the tampering will give a great taste.u can also add tamarind..