Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Blueberry~Almond~Chocolate clusters


Mmm. These chocolate clusters are delicious. I was watching Ellie Krieger's program on Food TV last week and she made this wonderful sweet treat. It seemed so easy, that I immediately wanted to try it out. The only variation I did was to use dried blueberries instead of dried cherries. Click here for the original recipe. Here is my version.

Ingredients
12 oz of dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used the Trader Joe's brand. The original recipe calls for only 6 oz of chocolate but I used almost 12 oz as I felt it was not enough to coat the nuts)
1 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
1 cup dried blueberries, coarsely chopped

Method
1. Before you begin, line a baking sheet with wax paper (as you don't want the chocolate mixture to solidify before you transfer to the wax paper). Toss the almonds and blueberries in a bowl and set aside.
2. Set up a double boiler on the stove. Melt half the chopped chocolate in the top of the double boiler. Check the end of this post on how to set up a double boiler. Or click here to learn more.
3. The heat on your stove should be on the lowest setting as this will help the chocolate maintain its shiny texture. Also make sure the water in the bottom pan is not touching the top pan.
4. Stir the chocolate until it starts melting.
5. Once the first batch is melted, move the double boiler from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate until melted. If you find it is not melting then move it back to the stove, but under a low flame.

Chocolate melting on the double boiler

6. After the chocolate is completely melted, add the chopped almonds and blueberries and mix well.
Nuts added to the melted chocolate

7. Take a tablespoon of the chocolate mixture and gently drop it on to the wax paper.


Chocolate clusters ready to go into the refrigerator

8. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
9. Remove from the fridge and store in an airtight container at room temperature. Do not store chocolates in the fridge as they lose their color and become pale or white.


Bluberry~Almond Chocolate Clusters


How to set up a double boiler
1. Fill a large pot with about 2-3 inches water.
2. Place a glass bowl on top of this pot. Use one that sits comfortably and does not touch the bottom of the pan.
3. Keep the flame on medium low and heat the water in the bottom pan. The heat from the bottom pot will melt the chocolate in the top pot.
4. Lower the flame way down before adding the chocolate.

22 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

Hey, this is my kinda dessert :)I like to prepare anything which can be done in 10-15 mts ;)Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Shn

Lakshmik said...

Welcome Mishmash. Do try it out and let me know how it turned out.

FH said...

My daughter would love these.Thanks Lakshmi,looks divine!:)

Lakshmik said...

Hi Asha

I am sure she will like them. You can use any combination of nuts and dry fruits.

Viji said...

Nice presenation Lakshmi. The kids will love this dish. Viji

Sia said...

ah!!! i always loved dairy milk's fruit and nut chocolates:) ur recipe is very much similar to it and home made too:)

Lakshmik said...

Yes Viji. Even grown ups will like the taste. It's a new recipe to make the boring old chocolate interesting.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sia

Yes, it tastes very close to the fruit and nut chocolate. Like I mentioned in my earlier reply, you can use any combination of nuts and dry fruits. Enjoy!

Bong Mom said...

My daughter would love these too :)
Thanks for sharing and I was wondering what "double boiler" is till I reached the ned of your post

USHA said...

Hi Lakshmik,

Wow!thats looks cool....very easy and delicious home made candies...
Thanks for sharing

Vini K said...

This looks soo easy to make!nice treat for kids.chocolate along with the nuts and fruits..

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sandeepa

I was sure there would be some confusion when I mentioned double boiler. That's why I put a note at the end of my post.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Usha and Vini

Glad you like the sweet treat. Do try it out.

Anonymous said...

that is a wonderful dessert so quick and looks so delicious..I would love to make them just with almonds...
-Sushma

Spandana said...

A very nice one Lakshmi.. iam crazy abt any food made of chocolate.. and urs is really tempting... Thanks for sharing....
I would love to try them... but with hazelnut...

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sushma

No problem. You can make this with simply almonds too. Go ahead and give it a try. Infact, the original recipe called for dried cherries. As I am not a big fan of dried cherries I used dried bluberries.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Spandana

I like hazelnuts too. Give it a try and let me know.

Seema Bhat said...

Wow Lakshmi,
I am sure gonna love it and sure gonna make these. I would love it with a little raisins here and there. Nice... Nice. Thanx a bunch for sharing it.
-
Seema

Unknown said...

Clusters looks so chocolaty and crunchy..my son will love it..

Kajal said...

Hi Lakshmik,
I love your dish very much. It is fast to cook and love to everyone. I like your every new recipe also. Good buy for now.J

-Kajal

Lakshmik said...

Hi Kajal

Glad you like all my recipes. Do try out the chocolate clusters. I am sure you will like them.

Lakshmik said...

Maheshwari, try it out and let me know. Cheers!