Swiss chard is one of my favorite greens apart from spinach. Add chard to chickpeas with a few spices and this ends up being a flavorful gravy that you can serve with rice or roti. The original recipe uses broccoli rabe. You can use any greens you like. Think outside the box and chickpeas can be switched with black eyed peas or cannelini beans. I have also used the organic green trio from Sam's club - baby swiss chard, baby kale and baby spinach. Tastes awesome. Click here for a link to the original recipe.
Boiled chickpeas - 1 cup (or use one can of chickpeas)
Swiss chard - 1 big bunch chopped (I used red swiss chard)
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Green chillies - 1 or 2 depending on taste - chop finely
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Crushed tomato - 1 cup (I used canned)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - to taste
Dhania jeera powder - 1-2 tsp
Salt to taste
Heavy cream - 1-2 tbsp
Oil for seasoning
1. Pour oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they crackle add onions and green chillies and saute until tender.
2. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir till the raw smell is gone.
3. Next add the crushed tomato along with the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and dhania jeera powder. Saute until the oil leaves the sides of the pan.
4. Add the chopped swiss chard and chickpeas with a 1/4 cup of water.
5. Cover and cook until the swiss chard wilts down.
6. Add salt and stir.
7. Stir in the heavy cream and mix until incorporated and bring it to a boil.