Thursday, November 21, 2013

Adai with oats

I have to admit, I am not a great fan of incorporating oats in idlis, dosas and other tiffins. When I came across this recipe in the 365 days of pure vegetarian's blog I had to give it a try. I am glad I did because I just loved the way the adai turned out. This recipe is a keeper and I will surely make it more often. I made some changes to the recipe and here it is. Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
Channa dal - 1 cup
Masoor dal - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1 cup
Brown rice - 1 cup
Rolled oats - 1 cup
Ginger - a small piece chopped
Red chillies to taste
Salt to taste
Optional veggies - chopped onions, grated carrots, spinach, etc.
Oil for making adai

Method
1. Soak the channa dal, masoor dal, moong dal and brown rice along with the red chillies for about 3 to 4 hours.
2. Soak the oats in water just 30 minutes before grinding the dals.
3. When you are ready to make the batter - add the dals, oats, soaked red chillies and ginger a little at a time to the blender and make a coarse paste. Do not add too much water while making the batter. The coarse batter improves the taste and texture of the adai.
4. Once the batter is ready add salt to taste. 
5. At this stage you can add finely chopped curry leaves, cilantro and chopped veggies.
6. To make the adai - heat the griddle and pour a ladle of the batter and spread evenly. Add 1/2 tsp of oil and cook on medium heat until browned. 
7. Flip the adai, drizzle some oil and cook until crisp.
8. Serve with chutney, pickle or idli podi.

Notes
1. There is no need to ferment the batter. You can use it immediately.

No comments: