Saturday, December 01, 2012

Banana chocolate cardamom mini cakes (eggless)

I heard about spelt flour from Richa of As Dear As Salt during one of our never ending conversations about food. But I never baked with it until recently when I picked up some organic spelt flour from the Whole Foods Market. And it is one of the most versatile flours to work with. I loved the texture of this cake - moist, fluffy and crumbly at the same time. And it's eggless too! So, here goes the recipe. Adapted from Veg Inspirations. Check out the recipe here
Banana chocolate cardamom mini cakes recipe

Ingredients
2 cups spelt flour
1 cup almond meal
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup and it was a bit less) (see notes)
2 tbsps cocoa powder
1 tsp cardamom powder

Wet ingredients
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil

Method
1. Put all the dry ingredients into a big bowl. Mix well and set aside.
2. Mash the bananas and add the sour cream and canola oil and stir until combined.
3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. At this stage you can add chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans or raisins if you wish. I wanted to make it plain.
4. Pour into any mould you have. I had the bundt like moulds so used them. I baked some of them into muffins too. Use any baking dish you have at home. Just grease the inside of the pan/baking dish with unsalted butter or cooking spray.
5. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the cakes or top them off with some chocolate chips or nuts (optional).
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven.

Notes:
1. I plan to increase the sugar to 3/4 cup the next time I bake this cake. If you are adding chocolate chips to the batter then 1/2 cup of sugar would be just right.
2. Also add walnuts or pecans if you like. Raisins would be a good addition too.

No comments: