For the stuffing1/2 cup of shredded cabbage
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1/2 cup of beans cut lengthwise
1/4 cup of boiled hakka/chinese noodles
1 medium onion
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
For the covering
1 cup all purpose flour
A pinch of salt
2 tsps oil
Water for making the dough
Oil as needed (for deep frying)
Method1. To prepare the filling - pour oil in a pan and sauté the onions till transparent. Next add all the veggies and sauté until tender and add the boiled noodles. Finish off with red chilli powder and salt.
2. To make the covering - make a dough with all-purpose flour, salt, oil and water (just like the dough for making rotis). Set aside for atleast 30 minutes.
3. To make the spring rolls - roll out the dough as given below.
4. Place a teaspoon of the filling in the center.
5. Moist all the sides of the covering and fold it as shown below.
6. Deep fry the spring rolls until brown.
7. Let the spring rolls cool. Cut them into 2-inch pieces and serve with chilli sauce.
Spring rolls go well along with Chinese noodles or vegetable fried rice.
Recipe adapted from Tarla Dalal's 'The Pleasures of Vegetarian Cooking'