Recipe for Sponge cake flavored with cardamom
1 cup All Purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar (not icing sugar - see notes)
150 ml of milk (use any milk you have in the fridge)
2 tbsps of butter
2 eggs at room temperature
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
1/2 tsp of cardamom powder (if skipping the vanilla use 1 tsp)
1 tsp baking powder
1. Add the butter to the milk and bring to a boil until the butter melts. Stir and set aside. Let is cool. (see notes)
2. Add the eggs to a bowl and beat until pale. Use an electric blender.
3. Next add the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, vanilla essence, cardamom powder and salt and blend well.
5. Add the milk/butter mix and on slow speed blend well.
6. Pour the cake batter into a buttered 9 inch round cake pan or an 8 inch square cake pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. You will know the cake is done when the top and the edges are brown.
8. Take out from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before you cut.
1. Using powdered sugar is a must. This works well as powdered sugar blends better with the eggs. And blending to a fluffy consistency is an important step as this recipe uses very little butter. Also as mentioned in the original recipe do not use icing sugar.
2. The milk and butter mixture needs to cool because hot milk will curdle the eggs.