Sunday, June 24, 2007

Simla mirchi chi peeth perun bhaaji (Green bell peppers curry)

I guess I made it just in time. This is my entry for RCI - Maharashtrian Cuisine - hosted by Nupur from One Hot Stove. Green bell peppers sauteed in a mixture of besan and spices lend a delicious twist to this Maharastrian curry.

Ingredients
4 green bell peppers
1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour) - increase the quantity of besan if you like
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp peanut powder (optional)
1/2 tsp dhania powder
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro for garnish
Oil as needed

Method
1. Wash and chop the bell peppers into square pieces.


2. Pour oil in a pan and season with mustard and asafoetida.
3. Add the bell peppers and turmeric powder sauté until half cooked on medium flame.
4. Make a dry mixture of besan, red chilli powder, dhania powder, peanut powder and salt and add to the bell peppers.
5. Continue cooking on a medium flame until the bell peppers turn golden brown.
6. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.

26 comments:

Nupur said...

Ooh, that looks so spicy and delicious, Lakshmi!

bee said...

i remembe eating this once, and it was delish. thanks for the recipe, lakshmi.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Nupur. Really happy I could send in an entry on time.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Bee. One of my friends also suggested stuffing the mixture into the bell pepper and shallow frying. That tastes delicious too.

TheCooker said...

Looks SO good.
Make a similar bhaaji using just onions or spring onions. I'm sure you'll like it.

Lakshmik said...

Hi to the cooker,

Thanks for the tip. I also read somewhere that we can use regular onions or even cabbage.

Viji said...

It looks yummy and spicy lakshmi. Viji

Bong Mom said...

I have chopped bell peppers at home and wasn't sure waht to do with them, this is it then
Looks delicious Lakshmi

Sharmi said...

I too have made this. your version looks better than mine.

Manasi said...

This is so tasty,isn't it? I make this too! U can also try a variation, using cabbage , tastes good too! I have blogged that version.

Lakshmik said...

Yes Viji. It is spicy but you can moderate the spice levels. But the spicier, the better.

Lakshmik said...

Thanks Sharmi.

Lakshmik said...

Sure Manasi. Will try out with cabbage too. Thanks.

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sandeepa

You must try it out. It is a yummy curry.

Suganya said...

There goes my last chance Lakshmi! I had this dish in my mind for RCI, dint know any others.. Am happy to see you submit this:)

FH said...

I make this dish the same way.It's yummy with chapatis.Thanks for your version LK.Hope you doing well:))

Roopa said...

ooooo viji i too made this dish added some cabbage and shallots too will be posting soon..yours looks delicious.

Rachna said...

nice recipe lakshmi, looks yummy....bookmarked to try

Anonymous said...

looks delicious. Nice bellpepper fry.

Prema Sundar said...

I have not tasted this before.. I was looking out for some curry dish with green peppers and Would really love to try it . thanks for sharing.

Roopa said...

sorry lakshmi i confused yours to vijis blog!

Bong Mom said...

Lakshmi
This perun bhaji turned out really good. I followed yours and SJ's recipe. Also added some mushrooms and they tasted really good. Thanks

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
This dish is mouthwatering!with all tthe spices it will be great with rotis,sambar rice !!

Anonymous said...

great recipe...in fact I have this with normal chillies...I love it

Bharathy said...

Absolutely no words to thank you, Lakshmi,for adding my humble blog to your great blog roll!!
I am regular regular reader of your blog..(had not commented so far) and an active participant of your great event, RCI!!
Thanx again..:)

swapna susarla said...

curry is looking yummy lakshmik.i never heard of this recipe.i love to cook simla mirch.will definitely try this.